Exams are picking up, the weather is clearly doing the opposite, and maintaining that tan is getting pretty difficult. That winter break, post-Cancun tan is quickly fading and you’re frantically searching for a way to stop the inevitable pale-ing process. This blog post is here to offer you two ways to help keep up that tan.
You can either pull this stunt:
(Although we don’t recommend trying this one)
Or you can simply curb your diet to boost the health of your skin. Foods high in beta-kerotene are responsible for affecting one’s skin pigmentation. Here are a couple delicious smoothies that contain ingredients high in beta-kerotene like carrots, spinach, kale, oil, and cantaloupe.
1. Seriously…It takes as good as it looks! Full recipe and instructions here.
Immune Booster Orange Smoothie
- 1 cup loosely packed sweet potato puree (~1 large potato), skin removed (or substitute pumpkin puree + extra banana or maple syrup for sweetness)
- 1 medium ripe banana, previously sliced and frozen
- 1 tbsp almond butter (optional)
- 1/4 tsp each ground turmeric, cinnamon, and ginger (if using fresh ginger, use 1 tsp chopped)
- 1/2 tbsp flaxseed meal or chia seeds
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup orange juice (optional)
- Large handful of ice
2. C’mon. Are you seriously surprised? You knew a kale smoothie was going to make an appearance. Full recipe and instructions here.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup packed chopped kale
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple
- 1 banana
3. At least this one will make you feel like you’re in the Caribbean. Full recipe and instructions here.
Mango Yogurt Smoothie
- 1 large ripe mango
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and cut in half
- 1 cup whole-milk yogurt
- 1 cup crushed ice
- Pinch or cardamom (optional)
- Mint for garnish
4. Tomatoes are an awesome natural-tan superfood. Don’t be intimidated by it’s color! Full recipe and instructions here.
“The Big Red” Tomato, Beet, Strawberry and Cherry Smoothie
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 cup unsweetened 100% cranberry juice
- 1 well chopped small beet (beet greens are optional but recommended)
- 1 chopped medium whole tomato
- 2 cups fresh pitted cherries
- 2 cups fresh strawberries
5. Artsy and yummy! Full recipe and instructions here.
Mixed Berry Protein Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 3/4 cup non-fat milk
- 1/2 tbsp sunflower seed butter
- 1/4 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp organic ground flaxseed
Hopefully, these delicious drinks will hold you over until Spring Break. Nonetheless, they taste great and are an excellent way to start your day!